Catering news - For this month's news - View magazine »
Bake a cake for Woolly Hat Day
St Mungo's Broadway is calling on people to show their support for homeless people by taking part in Woolly Hat Day on Friday 30 January 2015.
Now in its fifth year, one of the most popular ways of supporting Woolly Hat Day is through a bake sale at a school, office or community space. Alternatively, any commercial establishment that would like to get involved is being ecouraged to sell Woolly Hat cupcakes and to make a donation to the charity for each cake sold.
Minky Kitten, a Bath-based cake decorating company, has developed the following recipe for the cakes, which have a tasty orange sponge base with an orange butter icing.
Orange Cup cakes (16-20 cup cakes)
- 200g self raising flour
- 115g caster sugar
- 110g softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 110ml orange juice
Ingredients for orange butter icing
- 300g softened butter
- 700g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 100g orange fondant icing
Method for cup cakes
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Line a cupcake baking tray with paper liners.
- Place butter, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and mix well until creamy.
- In another bowl add the baking powder, salt and flower and stir together.
- Slowly add the ingredients into the creamed egg yolk mixture, alternating with a little orange juice each time until all the ingredients are combined.
- Beat the egg whites and fold carefully into the mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the cup cake liners, up to about 2/3 full.
- Place in the oven and bake for around 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Transfer onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Method for icing
- Place butter, orange juice and icing sugar into a bowl and cream together until light and fluffy.If mixture is too stiff add a little more orange juice.
- Pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Use orange fondant icing to shape into a woolly hat and place on top of butter icing. Roll a large sphere and cut into half. Roll a small sphere and spike with a cocktail stick to give woolly effect, place on top of cut sphere. Roll fondant icing out and cut a strip to wrap around bottom of cut sphere.
Celebrity Hat Auction
In its attempt to raise £60,000 this year, St Mungo’s Broadway is also holding an online celebrity hat auction from 23 January until 1 February. The celebrity hat auction has raised over £30,000 since it was launched in 2011 and has included donations from celebrities including Joanna Lumley, Sir Elton John and Benedict Cumberbatch. For further information visit www.woollyhatday.org
Howard Sinclair, St Mungo’s Broadway Chief Executive, said: “St Mungo's Broadway believes that no one should be homeless. Woolly Hat Day is a chance to show support for those without a home, or at risk of losing one. With homelessness rising, we want this year’s Woolly Hat Day to be even more of a success in raising funds and awareness of our work and the problems people face.”
St Mungo's Broadway provides a bed and support to more than 2500 people a night who are either homeless or at risk, and works to prevent homelessness, helping about 25,000 people a year. The organisation supports men and women through more than 200 projects including emergency, hostel and supportive housing projects, advice services, specialist physical health, mental health and skills and work services. www.mungosbroadway.org.uk
Previous issues - For latest news & articles view this month's magazine »
Inside this issue
RT @foodgov: Best before dates are about quality = 🌟 Use-by dates are about safety = 🤢 Know the difference and stay food-safe while not th…
Christmas may be heralded as a time for customers to be jolly and let their hair down, but the extra pressure on hospitality workers can take its toll. This year has witnessed an unprecedented amount of media attention being given to mental health. Read more >
Back in the day, the availability of cocktails out of home was very much limited to eponymous bars where your drinks were served by expert mixologists with a flair for spinning and twirling bottles as they created their offer. Read more >