Catering news - For this month's news - View magazine »
Hotelympia returns next week (28 April - 1 May) with the revitalised biennial event undergoing more changes in a single rotation than ever before.
At the heart of the show is Hotelympia’s Stage, the content of which is set to mix world-leading chefs and celebrated industry figureheads with hot button issues, awards ceremonies, debate, discussion, innovation and inspiration.
Highlights include Michelin-starred stalwarts, Bruno Loubet, Phil Howard and Tom Kerridge, who will be giving show visitors an in-depth insight into their rise to prominence and the secrets behind their phenomenal successes. The 2013 winner of Masterchef: The Professionals, Steven Edwards, will also be taking to the stage alongside runners up; Scott Davies and Adam Handling, offering top tips for budding cooks while explaining how the demanding process has aided their own progressions.
Throughout the four days, Hotelympia visitors will be able to see and hear some of the most relevant industry issues debated in a host of lively panel discussions with topics ranging from the economy and more effective marketing to those with allergies and intolerances, right through to school meals, food education and the development of young people into hospitality.
Monday afternoon will see the culmination of Hotelympia’s standard bearing Innovation Awards.
Throughout the day, the 26 finalists will square off against Hotelympia’s Innovation Idols in a behind-closed-doors Dragons’ Den-style pitch where only the four most innovative products – one each from the categories of Food & Drink, Tabletop & Design, Catering Equipment and Technology – will reign supreme.
The companies and products nominated as finalists in the Equipment category are: Adande Refrigeration with ‘Adande Matchbox’, where the refrigerated drawers slide out on either side; Foodservice Equipment Marketing’s space-saving, multi-functional ‘Alto-Shaam Combitherm CT Express’ with catalytic converter; Manitowoc Foodservice with its automated, easy-to-use ‘Multiplex Blend-In-Cup Workstation’; Winterhalter’s ‘UK DeMatik’ undercounter warewasher with new, hybrid water treatment system; Hobart’s ‘FTPi’ warewasher with world-first TWIN-LINE technology; Valentine Equipment Limited’s induction stockpot stove – ‘i-stockpot’ and Dawson Foodservice Equipment with ‘Lainox Naboo’, its advanced range of Combination Ovens.
Food & Drink
The finalists in the Food & Drink category are: Ico Catering with its ready to mix into hot drinks ‘Balgo Honey Spoon’; James White Drinks’ ‘Beet It Sport flapjack’; DJM Food Solutions with ‘Cedar Bay Maple & Hickory Plank Salmon’; Honeybuns gluten free ‘Honeybuns Cake Mix’; Love Taste Co’s ‘Love Fruit Tea’ fruit drink and Vegware’s compostable ‘PLA wine goblet’.
The companies and products competing in the final of the Technology category are: Airwave Europe’s ‘Fingi’ mobile platform; Airgoo with ‘Geoffrey’ a sustainable table-top ordering system; Orderella with ‘Orderella’ an ordering and payment app; Jamix’s ‘Techef In-Touch’ a web service offering allergen and GDA information; TenderOne Bar Services Limited with its ‘TenderOne’ which precisely measures 32 different cocktail ingredients and Winnow Solutions with ‘Winnow System’ a food waste smart meter.
Design & Tabletop
The contenders in the Design & Tabletop category are: EveryWare Global’s ‘White Dot Anti-Scratch System’; Maffam Freeform with hanging chair ‘Manu Nest Hanging Chair’; Merlin Buffet Systems’ durable, hygienic and dishwasher safe ‘Paper Slate’; StableTable’s ‘Flip Top’ which automatically adjusts to uneven ground; Dornbracht Group’s ‘Alape ASystem Init’ bathroom module system; IHS Global Alliance with ‘Showcase’, transforming buffet tables and its ‘Z-Rack’ tray storage.
A wealth of new products will be seen for the very first time at Hotelympia as the show floor yet again provides the launch pad for innovation across all trade sectors. Among the many new products on display will be:
● TOG Elite Japanese Kitchen Knives were developed by British industrial designer, Robert Beagley-Brown. The blades are forged in Seki City, the heart of Japan’s Samurai Sword-making industry, and are made using a unique 21-layer special steel (stand 1035).
● MKN will be showing off its brand new FlexiCombi steamer which offers commercial kitchens a host of sustainable benefits including significantly reduced energy and water consumption (stand 2041).
● Rendisk Solus Eco from Dawson Foodservice Equipment is an innovative standalone food waste system which has an extremely small footprint so can fit into any space, is easy to use and reduces volume by up to 80% (stand 2218).
● Hawk by Hawk Safety System is a new cloud-based food safety monitoring system which claims to help save catering operators 100s of hours in administration time and prevent costly kitchen shut downs (stand 4322).
● IMC’s WasteStation processing station can help operators cut food waste volume by up to 80%, reduce their rubbish and minimize their impact on the environment (stand 2522).
● Nine Stars will be unveiling its automatic kitchen waste bin featuring infrared motion sensor technology to open and close automatically (stand 2510).
● KK Balers will be putting the show focus on its K-K in-bin glass crusher, which can be fitted to any size of bin or wall mounted above a bin for maximum efficiency (stand 2314).
● Williams Refrigeration will be displaying its latest designs including its innovative wine tower as well as “grab and go” merchandisers and chillers (stand 2235).
● Technology exhibitor, Quadriga Worldwide, will be showcasing its Appy Hotel app solution and will also be unveiling its new SmartQube TV (stand 4012).
● Aircharge by Ergo will be showcasing innovative wireless phone charging solutions at the event with its product range demonstrated in several areas around the show including the premier suites and break-out points (stand 3727).
● Artisan bread supplier Bread Du Jour is the latest way to buy artisan-style bake-off bread direct to your door. It can be stored for up to 14 days, removed from its packaging and baked-off in minutes for maximum convenience (stand 4656).
● Vegesentials is claimed to be the UK’s first unpasteurised, pure and made from scratch fruit & veg smoothie and juice brand to launch in supermarkets (stand 4715).
Young Hopefuls go for Glory
Hotelympia has revealed the finalists in its 2014 Hot Talent competition – the search to uncover the UK’s brightest and best young hopefuls in the hospitality and foodservice industry – in association with BigHospitality.
The final ten – encompassing both back-of-house and front-of-house candidates – have been selected from dozens of hopefuls as outstanding examples in their chosen fields. Entries into the competition spanned the UK, with finalists represented from across England as well as Scotland – an encouraging nod to the breadth of emerging young regional talent currently on offer.
Only the two most outstanding candidates – one back-of-house and one front-of-house – will emerge victorious. Phase two of the competition calls upon each of the finalists to record a short ‘talking head’ video from which the eventual winners will be picked. The results will be announced in front of a packed house at Hotelympia’s ‘The Next Big Event’ on the evening of Tuesday 29th April.
Hotelympia has partnered with hospitality consultants and recruiters the Buell Group to offer free specialist business advice to visitors across all four days of the show. All sessions are available to pre-book now on a first-come-first-served basis. Those interested in taking advantage of this opportunity should email email@example.com indicating the area of advice they are after along with a preferred date and time. For the full list of business clinics available at the show, visit www.hotelympia.com/buell
Visitors can go to www.hotelympia.com and register now for a free ticket to Hotelympia saving the £25 entrance fee.
Previous issues - For latest news & articles view this month's magazine »
Inside this issue
The jury line-up for the UK & North Europe final of the S.Pellegrino Young Chef Competition has seven award-winning… https://t.co/vX1mvFO0JL
RT @Springboard_UK: Oh yes it is....it’s back! The casting call is open for the 2020 Springboard Pantomime - Snow White and the 30 Dwarfs!…
With the festive season nearly upon us, now is the time to check that all is planned and ready both to embrace and benefit from this particularly busy time of year. Read more >
Britvic’s 2017 research into the importance of soft drinks at Christmas revealed that almost half of consumers (45%) were set to buy more soft drinks at Christmas and over a fifth (21%) planned to drink less alcohol. Read more >