Roasted Partridge with Game Chips
An alternative to the usual roast.
Serves: 4Print recipe »
- 4 partridge, oven ready
- 50g butter
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 savoy cabbage
- 5 juniper berries, crushed slightly
- 100g cooked chestnuts
- 100g smoked bacon
- 200ml milk
- 1 small onion, finally diced
- 25g butter
- 100g soft white breadcrumbs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove
- Ground nutmeg
- 3 large potatoes
- 500ml vegetable oil, for frying
- Redcurrant jelly to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- For the bread sauce, put 25g of butter, the onion, bay leaf and clove into a saucepan and cook slowly until the onion is soft. Add the breadcrumbs and milk. Slowly bring to a simmer, season well with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Cover the sauce with greaseproof paper, cook very slowly until thick.
- Rub the partridge with butter and season. Place the thyme and bay leaf into each cavity of the birds. Put on a baking tray, cook for 18mins in a pre-heated oven. Baste the partridge during cooking to prevent them drying out. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 15mins.
- While the partridge are cooking, finely slice the cabbage leaves. Chop the chestnuts and squash the juniper berries. In a frying pan heat the bacon until brown then add the juniper, butter and cabbage. Add a splash of water to steam, season and leave the cabbage to wilt. Finally add the chestnuts.
- For the game chips, peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Half fill the pan with oil and heat. Fry the chips in batches until golden brown and lay on absorbent paper to drain excess fat.
- To serve, place a spoonful of the cabbage on the plate, and place the partridge on top, lay on a few game chips and a portion of bread sauce. Garnish with watercress and redcurrant jelly.
Previous issues - For latest news & articles login to read this month's magazine »
What's in this issue? - Login to view »
Keeping you up to date with what's happening in the industry
Embrace those Spring/Summer flavours
Eggs are for life, not just Easter
It's official - we Brits love our eggs
One of the UK and Europe’s most beloved shellfish species
Marketing with SMS
Fill your establishment at the touch of a button
FreeFrom & Allergen Laws
Are you ready for December's legislation?
Extend your drinks range and reap the benefits
Introduced to the UK in October 2012, Automatic Enrolment is the new legislation that requires all employers to automatically enroll their eligible workers into a qualifying pension scheme and contribute to their pension pot. Read more >
The hotel industry in the UK and across Europe is facing a positive 2014 with demand on the up from both leisure and corporate guests. However if hotels are to succeed, they must adapt to today's guest, says global hotel consultancy HVS London. Read more >