Prawn and Chorizo Paella
A Spanish favourite
Serves: 4Print recipe »
- 125g chorizo
- 300g prawns
- 1 onion, diced into small pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 tbsp paprika, or 1⁄2 teaspoon of saffron
- 300g paella rice (risotto rice can also be used and works just as well)
- 1 yellow pepper and 1 red pepper with seeds removed and cut into small slices
- 6 cups of water (if using chicken use hot chicken stock)
- 75g fine green beans, trimmed and blanched
- 3 large, ripe plum tomatoes, cut into chunky pieces (if these can’t be bought tinned tomatoes can be used)
- 15g parsley (or any other herb you fancy)
- A sprinkle of salt
- Heat frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add the chorizo, stirring and tossing for 3-4 minutes, until the chorizo has turned golden, and the oil has been released. Set aside.
- Cook the prawns for 3-4 minutes until the water has been released. Put aside.
- Gently fry onion in 1 tbsp of olive oil for 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and paprika/saffron.
- Add the rice and 5 cups of water. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return the prawns and chorizo to the pan and add the peppers, beans and tomatoes. Stir and cook for around 5 minutes, adding another cup of water if necessary.
- Season with parsley and salt. Cook for 5 minutes, or until rice is just tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- If desired, before serving squeeze plenty of lemon over the top.
Previous issues - For latest news & articles login to read this month's magazine »
What's in this issue? - Login to view »
Keeping you up to date with what's happening in the industry
Embrace those Spring/Summer flavours
Eggs are for life, not just Easter
It's official - we Brits love our eggs
One of the UK and Europe’s most beloved shellfish species
Marketing with SMS
Fill your establishment at the touch of a button
FreeFrom & Allergen Laws
Are you ready for December's legislation?
Extend your drinks range and reap the benefits
Introduced to the UK in October 2012, Automatic Enrolment is the new legislation that requires all employers to automatically enroll their eligible workers into a qualifying pension scheme and contribute to their pension pot. Read more >
The hotel industry in the UK and across Europe is facing a positive 2014 with demand on the up from both leisure and corporate guests. However if hotels are to succeed, they must adapt to today's guest, says global hotel consultancy HVS London. Read more >