7th May 2012
Counting cocktail calories
Cocktail bar Après London – situated immediately opposite Selfridges – has come up with a cunning plan to keep the custom of those who might be wanting to curb their calorie intake in the run-up to summer.
‘Skinny Sippers Vs Huge Hitters’ runs until the end of May and enables customers to choose either traditional calorie-packed cocktails or ‘guilt-free’ equivalents containing between 99 and 200 calories.
“Using the simple principle of removing sugar and carbohydrates traces from cocktails and then labelling them low-cal was just too easy and a route I wanted to avoid,” said Jez Hewitt, head mixologist, who concocted the Skinny Sippers. “Instead I focused more on using ingredients that were naturally sweet or bitter and played with complements to help infuse and create new refreshing tastes.”
Après Lounge and Cocktail Bar, 31 Duke Street, London W1U 1LG is open Monday – Saturday from 5.00pm – late.
- Taste of London adds more top chefs and restaurants to the 10th anniversary line-up
- Out-of-home food and drink index makes brewer top dog with 193% growth
- Unilever gives chefs the technology to help reduce consumer food waste
- Pork-gate leads to thorough meat-sampling programme in Leicester
- Clement Robert is Moët UK Sommelier of The Year 2013
- Supermarkets sweep up at expense of local restaurants and takeaways
- Horizons' annual briefing gives hope for future growth with snacking to rise, but evening meals declining
- UK Coffee Week
Afternoon tea, shrimps and prawns, grains and pulses, New Zealand wines, managing your online reputation, staff apprenticeships, focus on Margate, Industry and Equipment News and more...
Next issue out:
Editorial Copy deadline:
9th May 2013
Advertising deadline: 13th Jun 2013